Search This Blog

Friday, February 26, 2010

To Treat or Not to Treat

I endured a traumatic brain injury in a car accident and for 35 years I was unable to cry. Then I heard about cranial manipulation treatment. It was presented to me as a cure for what ailed me. To see what it would do, I tried it. It did make me cry, but for no reason and no cause. Was my choice a good one or not? We all live with the intense desire to make right decisions regarding our health, but when we learn we made the wrong decision, it upsets us and leave us with an unpleasant feeling.

Whether to listen to our bodies or the advice we get from “those who know” is not a simple decision to make. We hear, “Listen to your doctor,” or “Ask your health care provider,” but when should we listen to our daily symptoms instead of asking those who think they know what’s best for us?

Another example of following the advice of health care providers instead of listening to symptoms was when I was being treated for my adrenal gland damage. The physician knew this is the one gland of the body that cannot be repaired or cured since the adrenal gland cannot regenerate itself, but this negative fact was not conveyed when this treatment was applied. I didn’t know what was harder to deal with, my hope of getting better being dashed or having a damaged adrenal gland.

During the years of “mending,” I have learned to listen to my body and choose the best medical decision I can.

No comments: